Finally I am through the "Initial Operating Experience" training. I am officially a flight attendant for Skywest!!
(I am the one on the left...)
I started my training by deadheading to the O'Hare airport in Chicago. Dressed in my full uniform I was already being bombarded by the general public wondering how to get from point A to point B. Everyone assumes that if you are wearing the uniform you must have all the answers. I would just smile and say, "Follow the signs and you'll find your way in no time...", then I would walk away very quickly. I learned to keep smiling and stay positive, but above all avoid eye contact. Also, it's not a good idea to pretend that you don't speak English. On average,1 out of 2 people can see right through that lie (and my high school french doesn't sound pretty).
I woke up the next morning with a new outlook on my first trip as a flight attendant. I would be flying from Chicago - Oklahoma City - L.A. - Seattle. Meeting up with my IOE instructor, Eveleen, at Terminal 2 we cut in front of everyone in line for the security check and rushed off to board our plane. Observing only for the first leg of the trip I was feeling pretty confident in my new black tights. So, on the next flight I stood in front greeting boarding passengers with the giddiness of a new employee. That giddiness faded to a nervous twitch as I was being handed more and more responsibility during my training. Flying into Seattle that night and looking over the mossy pines I finally allowed myself to relax a little bit. The bonus for being a flight attendant is that I get to sleep at nice hotels. As a sunk into the pillows on my queen-sized bed, sleep found me very fast that night. The next day I did the same trip (backwards) all over again. Only this time I was flying solo. No help from Eveleen- just the occasional glare over her glasses keeping me in line.
Through it all I really enjoyed myself :] I am still excited to be a flight attendant. I got my first business card from a strange man and a compliment from a very drunk first class passenger. Awesome. I can tell this is a great start to an interesting career.


Congrats! I can't believe how quickly you have had to learn everything. You are amazing! I'm excited to hear more stories of the fun adventures you will have!
ReplyDeleteDanee... What a cute flight attendant you will be!! Oh I am soooo ecxited for you!! Congrats and don't forget to fly over here to our house once in a while!
ReplyDeleteLove you long time!!
Kathleen
Hey Miss Danee,
ReplyDeleteI could read your blogs all day...you are a riot.
How exciting and fun this new job will be! I hope you will learn, grow and stay away from old men...ugh on them flirting with you!
You are wonderful. Love you and Howie :)
Love, Mom, Dad and Haylee